Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Burning Blog » Blog Archive » Burning Man may be the future, but it’s not an escape

Any future envisioned to be “like Burning Man” will have to wrestle with this fundamental fact:  Burning Man forces you to make meaningful choices.  Some people do this well, some people do it poorly, and some don’t really know how to do it and just follow the herd they’re with.  But the option to make a meaningful choice … here, right now, in this moment … is constant at Burning Man.

Burning Man is not an escape from personal responsibility – it is an embrace of it.  How else would you explain the mass numbers of people who take their “leisure” at Burning Man by building vast and elaborate camps, or spending the entire year designing a massive sculpture or crafting an art car out of scrap?

This has nothing to do with sex and drugs and leisure:  these people made a choice.  No one forced them to.  In many cases no one even asked them to.  No one said it would be easy, and it virtually never is.  They did it anyway.

Burning Man is perhaps too often thought of as a vacation or escape when in fact it is a series of ongoing existential choices.  Given the chance to do anything … anything at all … in a place where almost anything is possible, what do you do?

Burning Blog » Blog Archive » Burning Man may be the future, but it’s not an escape

4 comments:

  1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    car removal brisbane
    free car removal brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    cash for cars melbourne
    car buyer Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
    car wreckers sydney
    unwanted cars sydney

    ReplyDelete


  4. Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply great and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.
    cash for cars Ipswich
    cash for scrap cars Ipswich

    ReplyDelete